I have been working very hard over the last few years. Because of this, I had been very much sedentary and have gradually gained a lot of weight. I am about 45 kilos extra and need to lose weight in this year. I plan for my wedding next year. Please help me understand how do I lose weight?
It is never late to make a new beginning! Our bodies are able to adapt to new challenges at any given time and age. Of course, the ability to adapt can differ. You may feel more tired first.
I would suggest not to go to any quick fixes or medicine and hormonal therapies as they will do more harm than good. Hormonal therapies increase the metabolic rate which burns fat at a faster rate. But this also starts to burn more of the good cells which may not do actual good. If your bones become weak, they can break at any time which will make your life handicapped.
Thus to lose weight, I will suggest you make an Action step plan to see how you can start to address the concerns. Analyse your life situation. Are you going to be in the same stressful job situation which you have mentioned above? When are you going to find out time for doing “anything”? Are you going to get time for only 15 minutes a day? Or is it 30 minutes or 60 minutes? Or is it that you can give 2 hours a day? Or is it that you would be able to give 3 – 4-time pockets of 15 minutes through the day
Depending on your answer, you may want to plan a few things mentioned in the list below:
- If you do not have much time, then start to focus on your eating habits. In a vast majority of cases, changes in dietary habits have helped to initiate weight loss as well.
- Take short walks around your home or office throughout the day – Easy fit in the 15-minute pockets
- Take a long walk and then gradually start with jogging once or twice a day – 15 minute to 30-minute time slots
- Give 20 minutes dedicated time for Yoga. This is suitable if you do not prefer rigorous exercise
- Give 20 minutes dedicated time for exercise. This is suitable if you do not prefer gentle movements
- Do you have access to a swimming pool? If yes, then take out 30 minutes to the pool and do some good lengths, maybe 2 to 3 times a week. It will still be okay if you do 1 to 2 times a week. This is because swimming has a deep impact on health and can tweak the metabolic rate quite highly.
- Can you give more time? If you are able to give more time, then it may be a good choice to do a consultation with a traditional doctor and come up with a massage based plan. Oil massages can increase the body heat a lot and help to increase the metabolism rate and start to burn off fat. Massages require 60 to 120 minutes of your time in a day. If you can give 2 – 3 days a week or even if you can plan 1 week in a month which will a daily treatment in that week, could be beneficial and help you reduce weight.
Now depending on the above discussion, you could start to come up with a plan. You could plan 15 minute short activities on some days and you may plan long activities on other days.
Do share what is your plan towards weight loss?