Are you looking to invest your money in the food line business and to get more returns back in due time? Then read this article to know complete details about how much money is required to invest, how much space should be available and what are the other requirements to be fulfilled to get a Franchise permission to open a KFC restaurant.
So who is KFC?
KFC stands for Kentucky Fried Chicken and are based in Louisville, KY, USA. They started as a Chicken restaurant and quickly became popular and became a Chicken Restaurant chain. KFC developed and perfected their own recipes like:
- Original Recipe
- Extra Crispy
- Kentucky Grilled Chicken
- Extra Crispy Strips with home-style sides
- Hot Wings.
As their business grew, KFC also sold Freshly made Chicken Sandwiches. They also started the concept of Family meals and have served famous families since the early 1950s.
Why is it profitable to open a KFC Franchise?
With all the goodness created and perfected in the 1950s and being used the same way through all these years, KFC has set up a brand in taste and this branded taste is maintained globally. KFC has gained tremendous popularity because of their standardised recipes, great taste, all around the world, in the same taste, anywhere, any place.
- KFC serves fried Chicken recipes to more than 12 million customers all over the world, every day. These 12 million customers are spread over 115 countries
- KFC operates more than 17,000 restaurants all over the world.
- Yum! Brands, Inc. is the parent company of KFC and has more than 40,000 locations of system restaurants and has employed more than 1 million associates
- Yum! is ranked at 201 in Fortune 500 list in the US
- The total revenues of Yum! Brands is more than $13 billion for the financial year 2012.
How to clear the Franchisee Assessment Criteria for KFC?
The Franchisee Assessment criteria determines about whether a candidate will be suitable to get approval for opening a KFC Franchisee. Following are the criteria required for fulfilling Candidate Assessment:
- Multi-Unit Operations Experience
- Financial QUalifications
- Personal and Financial Reputation
- Motivation and Commitment
- Culture and Brand Fit
- Growth Mindset
Multi-Unit Operations Experience
- Candidate should have a proven track record in the management of restaurant or business in hospitality sector.
- The candidate should have rich experience in running a multi-unit restaurant
- The candidate should have a total net worth of $1,500,000 and $750,000 Liquid Assets which can be converted into cash in a time span of 10 business and working days.
- The Net Worth and Liquid capital assets should be in proportion to the ownership this which may significantly vary from the minimum requirements.
Personal and Financial Reputation and Stability
- The candidate should be completely clean from any criminal convictions. There should be no history of any litigations against the candidate and any bankruptsy history will not be tolerated.
- The Credit score of the candidate should stand at a minimum level of 700 and should be given by a accredited Credit scoring agency
- The candidate should produce enough Business history and reputation along with referrals for verification of information presented by the candidate.
- The candidate should have a favorable and positive standing in the press and social media.
Motivation and commitment
- The candidate should be willing to guarantee all Franchisee Agreement Obligations
- The candidate should also give a specific commitment for providing training to the entire organization. Every person being employed in the Franchise should be properly trained with relation to SOP and ethics.
- The candidate should themselves have a hands on workingi n the day to day operations of the business. They should also be living near by the business in order to provide quick services in time of need and in decision making.
The above mentioned criteria is an example and assessment criteria variates according to multiple factors. Your specific criteria is presented during each application which can be specific to you.
How much time duration is required to complete a Franchisee Assessment Procedure?
Whenever a new candidate applies for being a KFC Franchisee, the initial review with background checks, interviews take 8 to 12 weeks. If a candidate clears the initial review, further procedures involve transaction review and approval. These will be required for all kind of transfers and opportunities in new developments at KFC.
Can existing KFC Franchisees be acquired?
KFC has not put up any company owned restaurants for sale. If a Franchisee notifies about selling of their KFC Franchisee, then the whole procedure will be reviewed by KFC Transaction Approval Process. New buyers in KFC must go through the whole procedure as mentioned in the above paragraph.
How far can I put up my KFC restaurant from an existing KFC?
A KFC restaurant should be placed away from a protected territory of 1.5 miles or in an population of 30,000 people, whichever is lesser. The new KFC restaurant must notify the nearest KFC 30 days prior to beginning operations.
KFC also provides support to minority and women who are inspired and interested in owning a KFC Franchise.
Approved candidates will be subject to:
- 5% Royalties on Gross Revenues
- 5% Advertising charges of Gross Revenues
- The KFC Corporation Franchise Disclosure Document – KFCC-FDD – enlists item 6 and item 7 which gives information about: Franchisee Application Fees
- Transfer Fees
- Training expenses
- Initial franchise fees
- New restaurant construction protocol,
- Grand opening expenses
- Opening inventory
- Other fees which include MERIT fees for back of house computer system
- Other such fees
Candidates should build up their inventory about sales and getting a market to sell their goods. Item 19 describes about the sales and how much money can be made through KFC Franchisee.
Where to start filling my application online?
If you are filing an application from the USA, then start by sending online requisition for KFC application by clicking here. Fill up details as mentioned below:
- First Name
- Last Name
- City, State, Zip code
- Daytime phone with best time to call
- Email address
- Current occupation
in their respective boxes, along with your Net Worth, liquid assets, partnership details and details regarding whether you want to start a new KFC restaurant or want to acquire an existing one. The form gets submitted over a secure network.
If you are applying from outside US for a different country, then your application is handled by the Yum! Restaurants International. You will go through a 3 step programme which can be accessed at Getting Started with YRI and then by clicking here to fill up the International Application form.
So you are done!
- You will be further contacted by a personnel from KFC or KFCC from a Regional Franchisee Recruitment Manager for sequential procedures.
- You will then require to complete and return a comprehensive Franchisee Application.
- After this step, you will undergo Evaluation procedure.
- If selected and cleared, a background investigation will be carried out and you would meet with appropriate Yum! Restaurants International management team members.
- You will be then asked to begin with the market development zone and site selection procedure. If selected and approved you will then undergo restaurant training program.
- Disclaimer: All mentioned steps are based on examples and literature given on the official websites. Actual procedure may include additional steps, forms, requirements and these vary widely from place to place and also depending upon various laws, climatic conditions and other prevalent factors.