Table of Contents
From ages since, multitude of research on Cancer has been carried upon and many of the views and theories came up and were utilized. Some of the theories came in practical utility and many of the theories went in vogue. Cancer became the “plague” of research, and then filled up with bugaboo and sometimes which may be termed as “scientific doublethink”. On one hand Cancer was depicted as the most fascinating, formidable and wonderful problem, beyond the comprehension of human intellect with no ability to have a cure for it and on the other hand, the human intellect has promised and “overpromised” a medicinal victory against Cancer.
The overpromise dates back to the Greek Mythology, when, “Prometheus”, a demigod worshipped by craftsmen, had stolen Fire from the Gods and gave it to the human race and thus the gives the assurance that Man can master Nature. Contrary to the above notion and belief, stand up statements of some people as that of Von Baer, that “Human wit is too prone to convert Nature’s simplicity into infinitely greater and more incomprehensible wonders,” as also Andrey’s generalization that “Even if we do discover the secret of certain natural forces governing the dispositions of man, our chances of mastering them are as remote as is our ability to make apples fall up”.
Such were the bipolar views of the times ever since man has known Cancer and had been researching on treatment for Cancer. The views had a mythical aspect which later on developed to logical aspect along-with analysis of current aspects of the respective time and the application of scientific knowledge as and when it developed and improvised.
The India Cancer Control Programme was established in 1975-76 in order to set up a research body for the control of cancers either as suppressive or palliative measures and also in order to find curative measures for treatment of cancers.
It further formed Regional Cancer Centers (RCCs) which collaborated with various existing medical set ups like hospitals, Medical colleges. Then District Cancer Control Programme (DCCP) was initiated but due to lack of correct research methodology and funding, the DCCP was not sustained.
There are 13 leading Cancer research centers in India and there are:
|Leading Cancer Research Centers|
The Statistics now obtained from these leading Cancer research centers are that –
- Nearly 8 lakh new cases are registered every year.
- There are 24 lakh prevalent cases in all types of Cancers.
- Tobacco-related cancers are amenable for primary prevention (48% in men and 20% in women).
- Now Oral cancers can be diagnosed early and treated successfully with good follow up results.
- 13% of cancers in women (Uterine and Cervix) can be screened and prevented.
- 9% of cancers in women (breast) can be detected early and treated.
Cancer treatment in India:
The current scenario of treatment of Cancers is limited to the urban areas with differences in the availability and affordability of treatment of cancer throughout the country. Majority of the patients who opt for Treatment of Cancer show up very late where there is more than 80% advancement and where there is already high morbidity, mortality and expenditure.
This late diagnosis and delayed presentation of the patient leads to 20% less results than what are observed in developed countries. The lack of access to quality care and support systems, lead to low curability in Pediatric cancers which is the opposite in more developed countries.
Cancer of Cervix: Current Indian Scenario:
One of the commonest gynecological cancers in India, most women patients presenting with the disease report with advanced stages of the disease. Lack of proper knowledge, low socio-economic status of the people makes them highly non eligible for the available treatment for Cancer of Cervix. The scenario of the status of Cancer of Cervix in India is very poor because of the above mentioned factors. The available screening is by Cytology, Colposcopy, test for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). Another reason for the poor status of Cancer research, screening and treatment is because the government spends only 0.9% of the GDP.
Collaborative efforts by the Government and Non Government sectors will help towards down staging of the Cervical Cancer.
Homoeopathic Approach towards Cancer of Cervix:
Homoeopathic approach towards treatment of Cancer of Cervix aims in a similar manner as is every other case dealt and treated by Homoeopathic Medicines.
Homoeopathic treatment and practice can be broadly classified in two manners.
- Classical medicine type of Homoeopathic Practice.
- Combination medicine type of Homoeopathic Practice.
- Classical type of Homoeopathic practice aims towards taking a complete case history according to case taking methods of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann and other pioneers. A single dose of a single medicine in a single potency is prescribed and it aims towards a miasmatic approach. This approach aims to treat the patients from the root cause and eliminating the disease in the following manner.
- From most important organ to least important organ
- In reverse order of appearance of order of symptoms
- From above downwards
- Combination type of Homoeopathic Practice is based on usage of combined medicines in specific formulae according to the system they work upon and aim at immediate palliation or suppression and this method can be used in Pathological cases with destructive changes require immediate support which can be followed by Classical Medicines.
Homoeopathic treatment is based on the Axiom, Similia Similibus Curenter and the cardinal principals and other pillars of Homoeopathy and a huge force of medicines in their tincture and potentised forms.
In every case, Homoeopathy considers the person in disease as a whole and the names of diseases and the grouping of symptoms have lesser importance as compared to the totality of symptoms.
In many of the recent researches being carried out, Homoeopathy has proven to be very fruitful in palliating, suppressing, reducing the physical symptoms of cancer and the ongoing research work by various authorities and Homoeopaths promise that Homoeopathy can prove to be a cure for cervical cancer.