Learn HTML with Us
Hello and welcome to the first post in understand HTML. HTML is a basic and a “used everywhere” web scripting language. You cannot create websites, if you do not know HTML. Saying this, I will explain in short about what is a web scripting language.
Basically, websites and web pages cannot be formed in simple English. But actually we need to make the server understand what and how we want to display things on a website and the interaction happens on a website.
Table of Contents
Web Scripting Language arrangements
using specific codes and arrangements
This is done using specific codes and arrangements. Such a specific code and arrangement of objects is known as a Web Scripting Language.
<!DOCTYPE html><html><body><h1>My First Heading</h1><p>My first paragraph.</p></body></html>
The above is a simple example about a HTML example. In the above example you see a few types of HTML codes.
Some basic rules of HTML
- The DOCTYPE is a type of declaration which defines the type of document that you are going to present. <!DOCTYPE html> is the Doctype for HTML5 version.
- The text which is entered in between <html> and </html> describes about the webpage.
- The text which appears in between <body> and </body> tag, appears on the browser.
- <h1> and </h1> is a tag which is used to display a heading.
- <p> and </p> defines a paragraph in HTML.
Understanding Basic HTML
Now that we have seen some basic tags, let us understand more about HTML.
- HTML is a basic web scripting language.
- HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language.
- Thus HTML is a Markup language which is used to mark text to be displayed and interacted in a desired way.
- Such a Markup Language is able to show the specific characteristics by Markup tags.
- Such tags are used to describe the content in the document.
- Thus, a web page which is created purely by HTML, contains HTML tags and content to be displayed.
- Thus, loosely HTML documents are also called as web pages.
What are HTML Tags?
- HTML languages grows on “tagging” Text with keywords which are surrounded in angle brackets. <h1> is a good example.
Growing on Tagging
- Normally, most of the HTML tags have a opening tag and a closing tag. For example <h1> and </h1>. The opening tag is called as a starting tag and the closing tag is called as End tag.
- The difference in the start and end tags are almost same, only that the end tag has a forward slash, before the name of the tag.
- Thus, the start tag and the end tag are also called as Opening tag and Closing Tag.
A brief History of HTML
HTML was brought to use in the year 1991. A newer version of HTML came in the year 1993. Again after 2 years, in 1995, HTML 2.0 brought in new features. HTML 3.2 came in 1997, HTML 4.01 in 1999. The year 2000 saw the inception of XHTML 1.0. Then after a long gap of 12 years, HTML 5 was brought in as HTML 5. XHTML 5 came in the year 2013.