Polycrest Remedies are an important part of Homeopathy prescribing and treatment with Homeopathy. This article attempts to analyse the recent developments like Neurosignatures and Neuromatrix towards understanding the concepts of Vital Force, Constitutional Remedies and Miasmatic Remedies. This article also describes the advantages of Polycrest remedies over small medicines, rare medicines and other newly included medicines in Homeopathy. Read this article to know about the origin of the concept of Polycrest Homeopathic Remedies, whether polycrest remedies would probably be same throughout the world, how to come to a selection of a Polycrest remedy, mode of action of a polycrest remedy, the Neuromatrix and Homeopathic Pain, the role of Vital Force in treatment by Polycrest remedies and the relation in Polycrest remedies, constitutional remedies and Miasmatic remedies.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Homeopathy, Homeopathic Materia Medica and Polycrest Remedies
- Utility of the total number of medicines in Homeopathy to treat homoeopathically
- The origin of Polycrest Homeopathic remedies
- Are Polycrest medicines universally same all over the world?
- So how does one come to a selection of Polycrest remedy?
- Definition of Polycrest in English
- What are the different types of Polycrest remedies in Homeopathy?
- Mode of Action of Polycrest Remedies7
- Role of Vital Force in treatment with Polycrest Remedies
- Polycrest Remedies, Constitutional Remedies and Miasmatic Remedies
Introduction to Homeopathy, Homeopathic Materia Medica and Polycrest Remedies
Homeopathy has grown over the centuries and now has a strong base of nearly 1400 medicines1 which have been recognized for medicinal and remedial use in Homeopathy. Ever since the golden experiment on Cinchona Bark by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, and then followed by the pioneers of Homeopathy, drug proving has been a core part of Homeopathy and is carried in various approved forms of proving of drugs and medicines on human beings, animals and other available sources. As a medicine undergoes rigorous proving and after being peer reviewed and approved by the Homeopathic bodies of today, it gets recorded completely, and then is included into the Homeopathic Materia Medica. It can be recorded with more emphasis on the Mind or in some it may be recorded on a more physical domain and still while some others may provide an analytical approach.
As time progressed, proved medicines are reproved and any new out comings can also be recorded and be given their importance accordance to their frequency of getting repeated and on the basis of other criteria.
Furthermore, different potencies of the same remedies provide different healing levels and new dimensions of healing are also observed. An example of this can be the action of Hepar Sulph which acts differently in different potencies. A higher potency helps to dry up the infectious pus discharge by aborting it and clear up the wound, while the lower potency of Hepar Sulph allows increasing and removing the discharge from the body by draining the toxins from the body2.
Thus, considering that Homeopathy has on record around 1400 medicines and averaging each medicine to have at least 5 potencies, a simple calculation tells us that there can be around 10,000 to 15,000 remedies in Homeopathy1.
Even to date, each recognised Homeopathic body and Homeopathy organisation is involved in research and development in Homeopathy and thus this count is on an increase every day.
Utility of the total number of medicines in Homeopathy to treat homoeopathically
Homeopathic methods of treating are based largely on subjective and objective symptoms of the ailments that a person is suffering. Homeopathy does not rely on what would be the name of disease of what a person is suffering from. This is a straightforward approach because every person presents a modality in their ailments and thus variation happens in the presentation of the troubles. These variations are significant from which a Homeopath works up the symptom complex and tries to understand the psycho-physical characteristics in the language of Homeopathy Repertory – The Rubrics3.
The origin of Polycrest Homeopathic remedies
As Homeopathy went through development through the life of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann and after him, existing medicines were being reproved and re-proved by different faculties around the world and were recorded. At the same time, new medicines were also being proved and introduced in the practice of Homeopathy. This led to the following consequences:
- Existing remedies were now being proved by people and sources from different parts of the world which opened a new door and new dimensions to them. People from varied and multiple culture, physical locations, languages, profession and beliefs contributed to the Materia Medica of a medicine making the compendium for a remedy to me richer and richer as the remedies got re-proved.
- At the same time, newer remedies were also being introduced and these too slowly grew in their sphere of action and which are growing as we the profession knows them in more depth.
- Homeopathic medicines came up into being from the rare substances which were till then unknown to the rest of the world but came up from geography specific substances.
A few medicines which were so extensively and deeply proved by the masters did not witness much addition even after extensive proving; of which Lachesis Trigonocephalus is a classic example.
The medicines which were thus known to be working in depth were also the most taught and studied and also the first ones by which a Homeopath would practice Homeopathy as they were known in a more complete sense.
It has been rightly said that a polycrest is more a perception, a perception into the quality, the sphere of action of the remedy, and also based on those medicines which have won the popularity and belief amongst Homeopaths4.
Are Polycrest medicines universally same all over the world?
This question can have a mixed answer as the polycrest medicines are defined by each Homeopath and Homeopathy therapist on his or her own experience. The points on which Polycrest remedies can be formed are:
- The area in which a Homeopath practices decides on the remedies that he might prescribe. While every person is individual and the symptom complex is unique for every personality, a physician can observe a particular group of remedies coming up for a particular kind of trouble in his / her area. If the Homeopath practices Homeopathy in a different physical location, they will notice a different set of remedies coming up in their repertorization for the same end expression of disease.
- Depending on the expression of dis-ease that people would express. For example, the expression of dis-ease of a particular group of people will always be on the skin. For an altogether different group of people, the expression would always be on their heart or on their liver and so on.
- Availability of remedies also plays a role in making particular remedies as polycrest remedies.
- Understanding and perception of the Homeopath about the root cause of the disease process and its way of expression of disease and the further miasmatic evaluation and repertorization decides which remedies gain more importance and are known as a polycrest remedies.
So how does one come to a selection of Polycrest remedy?
In the treatment of patients, and in the selection of medicines, one may see prescribers who follow a standard hierarchy which may be based on the Kentian method or the Hahnemannian method of giving importance to the signs and symptoms of a person. After a complete case taking, what a physician gets are mental symptoms, emotional expressions, the general symptoms and the local or pathological symptoms known as the particular symptoms. Kentian school Homeopaths give more importance and weightage to general symptoms and then work up to the particular expressions, which the Hahnemannian school Homeopaths follow from particular expressions to the generals. This leads a Homeopath to a final set of medicines in their repertorization chart which may be made up of unique polycrest remedies5.
Definition of Polycrest in English
The word polycrest is derived from a 19th century Greek origin where ‘polu’ means many and ‘khraosos’ means use6. Thus, there are at least a group of Homeopathic remedies which are commonly found with every Homeopath because they are proved multiple numbers of times and are widely known as well as widely available throughout the world.
What are the different types of Polycrest remedies in Homeopathy?
While Polycrest remedies can differ for every Homeopath, there are a few Homeopathic remedies which are found with every practitioner. The following list gives 20 remedies which can be called as Polycrest remedies.
- Aconite napellus
- Arnica montana
- Arsenicum album
- Aurum metaliccum
- Bryonia alba
- Calcarea carbonica
- Carbo vegetabilis
- Chamomilla matricaria
- Gelsemium sempervirens
- Ignatius amara
- Lycopodium clavatum
- Mercurius solubilis
- Natrum muriatricum
- Nux Vomica
- Thuja occidentalis
- Tarentula hispanica
- Veratrum album
This list is just a descriptive list and can change for every Homeopath; from which some remedies can be found in a Homeopath’s Polycrest Remedy kit.
Mode of Action of Polycrest Remedies7
This area is still a part of a larger research projects being carried on in the domain of Homeopathy.
While Polycrest remedies act in a similar manner as would any other remedy, here is a more detailed description about how would they work after taking a dose of a prescribed polycrest remedy and how they work in repetitions.
Thus, polycrest remedies are those which have been known and established to have a wide domain of sphere of action and have produced a wide variety of symptoms that are similar and common to many diseases. This also implies that they have their action on multiple organs and organ systems and a repetition of a dose of a Polycrest remedy is done after the action of a previous dose is exhausted.
Now because this is known that the action of the polycrest remedies is apparent on multiple organs, it implies that the multifunctional neural networks and probably the endocrine hormonal system carry the stimulus of the polycrest remedy producing multiple outputs. This leads to what is commonly observed in Homeopathic treatments of Chronic diseases that, with a high potency of an indicated polycrest remedy, the diseases of the past which may or may not be related to the current suffering, would reappear for a brief period of time and would vanish away, opening the gates for the dis-ease from which the person suffered even before. This is very well explained on the concept of changing pattern of neural circuits. The nerves which are involved in a particular functional network can also be a part of different networks either in whole or in partial involvement, which again can be on a long term or on a short term as well. This also implies that in a dis-eased state changes can occur in the Synapses of the neuronal network can also affect other functional networks as well. This can thus produce a range of signs and symptoms on other organ and organ systems which may seem apparently disconnected from the disease.
For example, pain in the liver and liver region gets aggravated when climbing upstairs or by bending backwards which is accompanied by constipation, frequent eructation which are felt better by burping and again after sometime, the discomfort returns.
Such expressions are evident depending upon which networks of neurons get involved in the functional network. Thus this also means that when an appropriate polycrest remedy for Liver pain in the above example is prescribed, it will activate the sensory neurons of the Liver which are connected to other networks in chronological succession for a brief span of time.
The Intricate system of Neurosignatures and Neuromatrix
As we discussed the various functional neural networks and the different organ and organ systems getting involved in it, as a living being grows over time, these neural networks and their patterns of sufferings get evolved and become a “mesh” for the person in totality, through which they understand, analyse and react to any situation. This way if understanding, analysing and reacting can be also called as Neurosignatures. Such multiple neurosignatures form an intricate system of interconnected elements which can be known as Neuromatrix.
The Neuromatrix and “Homeopathic” Pain
Pain can arise from two sources. Pain can be a sensory input from an injury or a local inflammation or because of other pathology. Pain on the other hand and to a large extent is result of the output from a widely distributed network of neurons and nerves in the brain. Very similar to memory, the brain has an ability to form neurosignature patterns received from the sufferings of past and are stored over the widely distributed neural network of the brain. Thus, pain can become a reappearing component during a Homeopathic treatment in which a recapitulation of past diseases happens.
In the multitude of functional imaging studies, it has been observed that these regions process the information in circuits which are postulated to process the various responses including but not limited to affective, autonomic, cognitive, inhibitory, motor and sensory responses which can be stimulated by a harmful and unpleasant event.
Thus, changing the activity of a network neuron by administering a Homeopathic potency will alter the activity of other networks as a result of the neurosignatures.
Effects of a Homeopathic polycrest remedy on the whole through Neurosignatures and the Neuromatrix
When a dose of Homeopathic Polycrest remedy is administered, the body together with the mind and soul, in which is felt the different qualities of the body at different times depends on the underlying brain activity and these all together comprise parts of the whole neurosignature pattern. Thus, the Homeopathy dose produces a complete Neurosignature pattern on the whole body. This neurosignature pattern is perceived through the whole being on the basis of the genetically built Neuromatrix which results into a specific pattern of response for the whole body and also for the specifically affected neurosignatures, which take the effect of the Homeopathic potency to the related organ systems. This gives the initial feeling of indisposition in response to the dose of polycrest remedy. Eventually the affected neurosignature gets restored back to normal status and thus the person in dis-ease gets a feeling of well-being.
This happens in an opposite manner in a normal being whose normal Neuromatrix and normal neurosignatures, generates a set of symptoms which would be similar to those of the ability of the Remedy, which is observed during a Drug Proving in on the whole body.
Role of Vital Force in treatment with Polycrest Remedies
Significance of Vital Force in the phases of Health, Disease and Cure
Vital force has been the language of Homeopathy and the way through which Dr. Samuel Hahnemann and the pioneers of Homeopathy have been explaining the action of Homeopathy.
Vital force is the inner animating force in a living being which helps to perceive, understand, analyse and respond to a situation and thus, maintain the body in normal function and rhythmic sensation. In other words, the Body, Mind and Soul are in harmony. Vital force is not separate from these three entities but is an expression of them. It is the indwelling force by which the reason gifted mind employs the living healthy body as an instrument for the higher purposes for our existence. 8 Nothing can be obtainable and no sensation, function and self-preservation would be possible without the Vital force. 9
The Vital Force is disturbed when either the soul or the mind or the body is not in a normal rhythm and function. When the rhythm is disturbed, the Vital force losses its way of protecting the body from outer inimical dynamic forces and thus opens up ways to getting infected and deranged which over the days in illness, gets easily evidenced on the body. When this spiritual, automatic vital force is deranged, by the dynamic morbific inimical agent, the derangement of the Vital Force is expressed by disagreeable signs and symptoms on the body. This discomfort is experienced by the person themselves and if not taken care of, would then be expressed in a way by which others would be able to know that the person is not in good health and harmony.10 It is thus clearly stated by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in his book of Organon of Medicine, that the disappearance of these signs and symptoms known by others and also by the people themselves would clearly mean recovery of the health of the whole organism and thus restoration of the Vital Force.11 Thus, the body, mind and soul are inseparable and cannot be considered treatable as separate identities and will always have to be addressed together12 and thus any cure that can happen for a person, will be evident only when it is addressed in a dynamic manner to affect the Vital force and actually re-establish health and vital harmony.13 It is very important to understand that the physician has to remove only the symptoms of the organism as a whole and not only of the body or the mind or the soul in individuality.14
The action and reaction of Vital Force in a Homeopathic Polycrest Remedy
We all have read above what exactly can be a polycrest remedy. The following description of how Vital Force perceives and acts to a Homeopathic remedy and thus also to a Homeopathic Polycrest remedy has been mentioned by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in his book of Organon of Medicine. In a diseased state, the Vital Force which is already deranged by the dynamic inimical force is in a receptive mode15 of a healing energy. When this energy is provided by a Homeopathic medicine which is also an artificial morbific agent it causes certain alterations in the health of the individual. While this alteration is a conjoined effect of the remedy and the vital force, it is more so because of the former.15, 16 Now because of this passive and receptive state of the Vital force, the effects of the polycrest remedy are permitted to express their effects on the multitude of action sphere they are able to act upon, which happens from outwards. Now because the polycrest remedy is an artificially produced controlled morbific agent, it aids in arousing the Vital force and it now gives a secondary action, where the vital force directs its whole energy to remove the derangement caused from outside at the same time re-establishing homeostasis. If this is not completely possible by the vital force under the influence of the polycrest remedy, it will still give a counter curative action where it will strive to assert its superiority to remove the alternation from outside to re-instate its norm.17 In the case of our polycrest remedy, which itself is so immaterial and minute that the minute counter secondary action is evident and what is more evident is merely the restoration of the balance of health18, which has been described earlier in the section of The Intricate System of Neurosignatures and Neuromatrix.
Polycrest Remedies, Constitutional Remedies and Miasmatic Remedies
The term “constitutional remedies” was introduced by James Tyler Kent who went a step further to indicate the difference in the treatment of an acute condition by an Acute Remedy and for the deep anti-miasmatic treatment by a Constitutional remedy. Dr. Hahnemann had stated that deep acting remedies affect the whole patient through the faculty of vital force which shows its effects through the Soul processing the Mind and animating the body in accordance. In this sense, the remedies which are able to show their effect on a living being can be termed as constitutional remedies. This class of remedies working on the constitution on a deep level, affecting multiple levels of the mind, removing the hurdles of cure and ultimately give the curative effect on the body.
Thus, to get a constitutional effect, a remedy has to be known not only from a few dimensions, but the complete ins and outs of the same should be known and noted in the Materia Medica. Depending on the affection, a polycrest remedy can be prescribed as an acute remedy or even as a deep acting remedy. The action of the remedy on the vital force depends on the number of the functional neural networks being involved and how deep is the constitution of the person affected. Thus, a polycrest remedy, if prescribed in a deep constitutional suffering address the multiple layers of sufferings, unfolding each layer after layer and if it leads to a cure, then the same polycrest remedy can be known as a Constitutional Remedy.
A miasmatic evaluation is a basis of a true similimum. Knowing a Miasm shows us the proper direction in watching the progress of a case, thus giving us knowledge of the “ammunition” required to fight against a deeply nested constitutional disease. With such a proper guidance, the physician is able to know what should be expected next as the dis-ease unfolds and past sufferings would surface up and get cured. Over here, when a deep constitutional disease is judged on a miasmatic approach, it is also known as a Miasmatic remedy. As the sufferings that a person goes through get cleared and past sufferings unfold, the polycrest remedy prescribed over here needs to be re-addressed through follow up consultations and depending on the totality of symptoms and Miasmatic evaluation, a Homeopathic physician will be in a better position to prescribe a miasmatic remedy which can be found to be in a relation to the previously prescribed polycrest remedy.19
Polycrest Remedies are an integral part of the Homeopathic “arsenal”. They form a group of Homeopathic Medicines which are very well known and their actions on the various organ systems and the soul and mind are understood. This knowledge is useful to find a perfect similimum in a dis-eased individual and a remedy. A Polycrest remedy shows its effects on the Neurosignatures, the Neuromatrix and thus gives us a confirmation of a proper cure taking place. While every remedy that is included in Homeopathy has the ability to be classified as a polycrest remedy, the current limitations of either not being proved in a complete sense or being available only at specific places; makes such remedies to be known only in a limited form.
Even with the progress of today, Dr. Hahnemann’s work on the Organon of Medicine stands upright and provides every detail on the actions of polycrest remedies on the Vital force, its reaction as a receptor and in the secondary curative action. Polycrest remedies also help in a better understanding as well as application in treating patients on the Miasmatic angle which provides us with tools to know the progress of the treatment and how each Miasm would unfold in the reverse order of appearance of symptoms, as each specific neurosignature gets addressed and cure is obtained.
- Murphy Robin, Nature’s Materia Medica, 1,400 Homeopathic and Herbal Remedies, Lotus Health Institute, 2006 – Homeopathy – 2214 pages
- ABCHomeopathy (2001) Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum – Homeopathic Remedies. Available – http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Hep Last Accessed 29 Jan. 2014
- Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India (2013) Essential Homoeopathic Medicines – Department of AYUSH. Available – http://www.indianmedicine.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/1111869149-Essential_Homoeopathic_Medicines%20for%20uploading%20on%20web%20site.pdf. Last Accessed 29th Jan. 2014
- OtherHealth (2002) Polycrest medicine info – page 3 – otherhealth.com Available – http://www.otherhealth.com/homeopathy-discussion/1993-polycrest-remedies-info-3.html#post31117 Last Accessed 30 Jan 2014
- Murphy Robin, Narendra Jain, Hahnemann’s Organon of Medicine, B. Jain Publishers, Jan 1, 2004 – Page No. 284 Point 33
- Oxford Dictionaries (2013) Polycrest: definition of polycrest in Oxford dictionary (American English) Available – http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/polycrest Last Accessed – 30 Jan 2014
- Nirmal C Sukul and Anirban Sukul (2004). High Dilution Effects: Physical and Biochemical Basis. The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. P85-86.
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 9
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 10
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 11
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 12
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 15
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 16
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 17
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 64
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 63
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 64
- Hahnemann (Reprint 2004). Organon of Medicine. 6th Ed. New Delhi: B.Jain. § 66
- Gina Tyler. (2005). Miasms – Understanding and Classifying Miasmatic Symptoms. Available: http://hpathy.com/organon-philosophy/miasms-understanding-and-classifying-miasmatic-symptoms/. Last accessed 1st Feb 2014.
- Title: Complete Cure in Homeopathy by Polycrest Remedies
- Author: Dr. Apurva A. Tamhane
- Full Address: P.O. Box No. 1316, Resonate Wellness (Pty) Ltd., The Station, Sans Souci, Mahe, Seychelles, Indian Ocean Islands
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Telephone Number: Clinic – (+248) 4225709 ext. 107 / Residence: (+248) 4225089 / Cell: (+248) 2793739
- Biographical information: Dr. Apurva Tamhane is a Homeopath qualified with a M.D. in Homeopathic Materia Medica from Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, India. He has been imparting Homeopathy healing services since 2008. He currently works as a Resident Homeopath with Resonate Wellness at Seychelles. Information about Homeopathy Services provided by Dr. Apurva Tamhane at Resonate Wellness in Seychelles can be found at http://www.thestationseychelles.com/homeopathy.html.